Coconut Lentil Soup with Crunchy Sea Salt Fava Beans
1 Tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbsp garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp ginger root, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp group turmeric powder
1/2 Tbsp curry powder
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 large carrots
1 sliced zucchini
1/2 can organic diced tomatoes
2 cup water
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 pound red or yellow lentils (about 1 cup)
1-2 handfuls of fresh spinach
1 can organic coconut milk
Toppings: Volupta Sea Salt Crunchy Fava Beans
Option: to add cilantro, or a dollop of Greek yogurt
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot. Add chopped onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauté over medium heat ~ 3-4 minutes.
- While sautéing, peel and slice the carrots.
- Add the carrots, sliced zucchini, turmeric powder, curry powder, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, water, and veggie stock to the pot.
- Once boiling, turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the lentils should be soft, almost broken. Add the coconut milk and spinach. Stir and let sit simmer for 2-3 minutes.